So, what exactly is cassava? Simply put, it is a root vegetable. It has a similar appearance to a sweet potato and a nutty flavour. It has been used as a main source of food by indigenous cultures for centuries across parts of Africa, Asia and South America. Closely related to other root vegetables like yam, potatoes and plantains, cassava has been a nutritious carbohydrate for many cultures.
At Zur Gluten Free Ltd, we use cassava as a main ingredient in our breads and wraps. We also use cassava flour as an alternative to wheat flour in various recipes such as cereal, porridge, crêpes, cakes and more, all of which can be found on our website. The reason we love using cassava so much is because our recipes are designed to suit the needs of those who are celiac, diabetic, gluten intolerant or purely those who desire a more nutritional diet.
In addition to that, the vegetable is so versatile, it can be used to create both sweet and savoury dishes that can be eaten in meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and as a snack. On top of that, cassava also has huge health benefits, see some below:
• It is a great source of carbohydrates; this means it will keep you full and steadily release energy over a longer period of time without you crashing.
• It is low in fat.
• It is completely gluten-free.
• It can be made into a flour which is a superior alternative to wheat flour.
• It can be used in both sweet & savoury meals.
• It is a source of valuable vitamins such as folates, niacin, thiamine, vitamin B-6, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K.
• It contains electrolytes and essential minerals such as potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc & manganese.
• It can feed good bacteria in the gut.
• It is low in cholesterol.
• Low glycaemic index.
The founders of Zur Gluten Free Ltd come from a generation of herbalists and a family that uses food to heal and replenish the body. Ultimately, what we use to fuel ourselves with determines how well our bodies and minds run. That is why we made it our mission to use organic and ethically sourced ingredients that not only make our bodies and minds run at optimum ability but also has the power to reverse diseases.
Using our top quality and highly nutritious ingredients, we put together meals that your body will thank you for. Firstly, we must understand who we are cooking for, we take into consideration the individual’s weight, height, age, medical history, allergies, intolerances, if they are suffering with any diseases and if certain diseases run in their family. From this information we are able to determine which meals are best suited to that person and what ingredients should and shouldn’t be used.
The best part is, we can take care of each of your meals, every day of the week so you no longer have to think about what you should be eating or spend time cooking. Zur Gluten Free Ltd will ensure that every bite is aiding your life instead of shortening it. Get in touch so we can discuss how we can help you.